PRODUCT DESIGN BOILED DOWN TO THE ESSENTIALS: KYOCERA CERAMIC KNIFE RECEIVES RED DOT AWARD
Amongst strong competition, the jury of Germany's most prestigious design award was won over by the knives of Kyocera’s Japan series
25 March 2014
Kyoto/Neuss − The motto of the Red Dot award for outstanding product design is “in search of excellence.” This year that search led the organizers of the renowned award to Kyocera. The company’s Japan series ceramic knives were recognized with the Red Dot award. The quality seal, which is coveted by manufacturers and product designers, was awarded to the Japanese company for its “well-considered and innovative entry.”
The Japan series prevailed over nearly 5,000 other entries from 1,900 companies in 53 countries. And for good reason: Its conceptual design and finish are inspired by traditional Japanese craftsmanship and reflect the rich cultural heritage of the land of the rising sun. The Kyocera ceramic knives that won the award combine absolute functionality with a design sensibility that is boiled down to the essentials. Together with the high technological and manufacturing standards of Kyocera, the result is a timeless and aesthetically pleasing ceramic knife.
The elegant blade is made from hand-finished black zirconia ceramic, while the handle is hand-made from pakka wood and decorated with stainless steel inlays. The corrosion-free, highly flexible knives are extremely sharp, ultra-light, and very durable thanks to the exceptional hardness of the materials used.
Kyocera has been producing ceramic knives for over 30 years and to date has sold over ten million worldwide.
“The Red Dot award not only recognizes the exceptional design of our ceramic knives, it also underlines the high technical standards of our production processes and the precision of our products. We value the award even more highly because the competition this year was so strong and the general level of the entries was so high,” noted Rafael Schröer, Managing Director of Kyocera in Germany, in regard to the victory.
The quality seal, which is recognized around the world, will be officially awarded on July 7, 2014 as part of the Red Dot gala. The Japan series will subsequently be displayed in the Red Dot design museum in Essen, Germany.
For more information about Kyocera: www.kyocera.eu
- KYOCERA introduces customized LED module with a colour spectrum close to sunlight for diverse applications
- KYOCERA Marks 10th Anniversary of “Green Curtains”
- Kyocera, along with RIKEN and Organ Technologies, has launched a joint research to develop a regenerative medical treatment for hair loss, targeting practical use in 2020
- KYOCERA DOCUMENT SOLUTIONS RACKS UP SIX MORE AWARDS FROM INDUSTRY’S LEADING ANALYST
- KYOCERA expands its market presence by opening a new office in Italy
- KYOCERA Develops Real Edge 600dpi Thermal Printhead for Card Printing with Enhanced Security Applications
- KYOCERA Develops World’s Smallest Thermal Printhead for Barcode Printing
- Inamori Foundation Announces Three Laureates of 2016 Kyoto Prize
- KYOCERA recognized as “Top Performer” in 2016 PV solar module reliability scorecard
- KYOCERA opens European Intellectual Property Office in Esslingen, Germany
- Kyocera introduces highly reliable and cost competitive diode modules for industrial applications
- KYOCERA CONTINUES ITS SPONSORSHIP OF THE INTERNATIONAL ICE HOCKEY FEDERATION'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
- KYOCERA to Break Ground on Third Kyoto Ayabe Manufacturing Facility
- KYOCERA “Kyoto Opal” Utilized in Decorative Design of Yamaha Trombone
- Kyocera Brings Low-Temperature, High-Thermal-Conductivity Silver Sinter Paste to the European Market
Manager Corporate Communications