PRODUCT DESIGN BOILED DOWN TO THE ESSENTIALS: KYOCERA CERAMIC KNIFE RECEIVES RED DOT AWARD
Amongst strong competition, the jury of Germany's most prestigious design award was won over by the knives of Kyocera’s Japan series
25 March 2014
Kyoto/Neuss − The motto of the Red Dot award for outstanding product design is “in search of excellence.” This year that search led the organizers of the renowned award to Kyocera. The company’s Japan series ceramic knives were recognized with the Red Dot award. The quality seal, which is coveted by manufacturers and product designers, was awarded to the Japanese company for its “well-considered and innovative entry.”
The Japan series prevailed over nearly 5,000 other entries from 1,900 companies in 53 countries. And for good reason: Its conceptual design and finish are inspired by traditional Japanese craftsmanship and reflect the rich cultural heritage of the land of the rising sun. The Kyocera ceramic knives that won the award combine absolute functionality with a design sensibility that is boiled down to the essentials. Together with the high technological and manufacturing standards of Kyocera, the result is a timeless and aesthetically pleasing ceramic knife.
The elegant blade is made from hand-finished black zirconia ceramic, while the handle is hand-made from pakka wood and decorated with stainless steel inlays. The corrosion-free, highly flexible knives are extremely sharp, ultra-light, and very durable thanks to the exceptional hardness of the materials used.
Kyocera has been producing ceramic knives for over 30 years and to date has sold over ten million worldwide.
“The Red Dot award not only recognizes the exceptional design of our ceramic knives, it also underlines the high technical standards of our production processes and the precision of our products. We value the award even more highly because the competition this year was so strong and the general level of the entries was so high,” noted Rafael Schröer, Managing Director of Kyocera in Germany, in regard to the victory.
The quality seal, which is recognized around the world, will be officially awarded on July 7, 2014 as part of the Red Dot gala. The Japan series will subsequently be displayed in the Red Dot design museum in Essen, Germany.
For more information about Kyocera: www.kyocera.eu
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- New KYOCERA Electronic Connectors Offer World’s Highest Mating Tolerance, Withstand up to +125°C
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Completes 29.2MW Solar Power Plant on Repurposed Land in Japan
- KYOCERA’s New Industrial Cutting Tool with Ultra-Durable Coating Materials Maximizes Steel Cutting Performance
- KYOCERA offers sustainable and premium-quality coffee enjoyment with the new Coffee Grinder EG-70CF
- KYOCERA Enters into License Agreement with Bosch
- KYOCERA exhibited Fine Ceramic Components at Germany’s Hannover Messe
- KYOCERA Named Among Top 100 Global Innovators by Clarivate Analytics
- KYOCERA Introduces New LCD Panels for Automotive Head-Up-Displays
- EXCEPTIONAL RELIABILITY & PERFORMANCE EARN KYOCERA SEVEN BLI 2018 WINTER PICK AWARDS
- KYOCERA Files Suit Against Preh GmbH for Potential Infringement of Haptic Feedback Technology Patent
- KYOCERA to Build New Plant in Kagoshima, Japan, for Ceramic Microelectronic Packages
- TAKUYA MARUBAYASHI APPOINTED NEW PRESIDENT OF KYOCERA DOCUMENT SOLUTIONS EMEA
- KYOCERA’s New Air-Cooled UV Curing Light is World’s Smallest, Lightest and Most Powerful
- KYOCERA TCL Solar begins operation of Japan’s largest 13.7MW Floating Solar Power Plant
- KYOCERA Introduces New Z-series Clock Oscillators