PRODUCT DESIGN BOILED DOWN TO THE ESSENTIALS: KYOCERA CERAMIC KNIFE RECEIVES RED DOT AWARD
Amongst strong competition, the jury of Germany's most prestigious design award was won over by the knives of Kyocera’s Japan series
25 March 2014
Kyoto/Neuss − The motto of the Red Dot award for outstanding product design is “in search of excellence.” This year that search led the organizers of the renowned award to Kyocera. The company’s Japan series ceramic knives were recognized with the Red Dot award. The quality seal, which is coveted by manufacturers and product designers, was awarded to the Japanese company for its “well-considered and innovative entry.”
The Japan series prevailed over nearly 5,000 other entries from 1,900 companies in 53 countries. And for good reason: Its conceptual design and finish are inspired by traditional Japanese craftsmanship and reflect the rich cultural heritage of the land of the rising sun. The Kyocera ceramic knives that won the award combine absolute functionality with a design sensibility that is boiled down to the essentials. Together with the high technological and manufacturing standards of Kyocera, the result is a timeless and aesthetically pleasing ceramic knife.
The elegant blade is made from hand-finished black zirconia ceramic, while the handle is hand-made from pakka wood and decorated with stainless steel inlays. The corrosion-free, highly flexible knives are extremely sharp, ultra-light, and very durable thanks to the exceptional hardness of the materials used.
Kyocera has been producing ceramic knives for over 30 years and to date has sold over ten million worldwide.
“The Red Dot award not only recognizes the exceptional design of our ceramic knives, it also underlines the high technical standards of our production processes and the precision of our products. We value the award even more highly because the competition this year was so strong and the general level of the entries was so high,” noted Rafael Schröer, Managing Director of Kyocera in Germany, in regard to the victory.
The quality seal, which is recognized around the world, will be officially awarded on July 7, 2014 as part of the Red Dot gala. The Japan series will subsequently be displayed in the Red Dot design museum in Essen, Germany.
For more information about Kyocera: www.kyocera.eu
- KYOCERA Document Solutions revolutionises A4 printing
- KYOCERA DOCUMENT SOLUTIONS WINS GOOD DESIGN AWARD 2015 FOR A4 COLOUR MFPS
- KYOCERA introduces TFT-LCDs with Projected Capacitive Touchscreens for Industrial Applications
- KYOCERA Document Solutions Inc. Positioned in Visionaries' Quadrant in 2015 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Managed Print and Content Services
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Begins Construction on 13.7MW Floating Solar Power Plant
- Kyocera will present its new Fuji and Kizuna knife series at Ambiente 2016
- KYOCERA Expands Number of Solar Recharging Stations in Japan as Electric Vehicle Use Grows
- KYOCERA Receives Environment Minister’s Award in Japan for Record 6th Consecutive Year
- KYOCERA ANNOUNCES GOOGLE CLOUD PRINTING
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Completes 8.5MW Solar Power Plant on Reclaimed Island on Japan’s Largest Lake
- KYOCERA Launches Highly Robust Printhead for Digital Textile Printing
- KYOCERA Develops World’s First Platinum-Free Soot-Sensing Element for Diesel Engines
- Kyocera Showcases The Benefits Of The Digital Transformation At The Gartner Symposium 2015
- KYOCERA Acquires Turkish Distributor and Creates New Sales Company
- KYOCERA Announces New Mobile Device-based Support Service in Japan for Healthy Lifestyle Modification*
Manager Corporate Communications