KYOCERA to Acquire 100% Ownership of LCD Manufacturer OPTREX Corporation
Acquisition to further expand LCD and touchscreen panel businesses
18 January 2012
Kyoto / Neuss − Kyocera Corporation today announced that it has completed a share transfer agreement with three investment funds operated by Japan Industrial Partners, Inc. to acquire all shares of Optrex Corporation (herein “Optrex”) — a specialized manufacturer of liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and related products — in order to further strengthen and expand its LCD and touchscreen panel businesses. Effective February 1, 2012, Optrex will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kyocera Corporation.
WVGA resolution, long life LED backlight with up to 70,000 operating hours with a brightness of 700 cd, a slim housing and a viewing angle which covers the needs for industrial use, thanks to the latest display technology: these are the key features of Kyocera’s new 7 inch LCD. Combined with those features are the reliability in delivery and especially the long availability of the product that distinguish Kyocera as a reliable manufacturer.Kyocera’s Corporate Thin Film Components Group develops, manufactures and markets small- and medium-sized LCDs for industrial applications worldwide. The company has been successful in establishing a business structure capable of responding to customer needs, which requires the ability to meet custom orders and to manufacture a wide range of products even in small volume. Furthermore, since 2010 Kyocera has been expanding its capacitive touchscreen panel business and has garnered a good reputation for product quality and features such as thinness, strength and waterproof functionality for use in smartphones.
Demand for LCDs used in industrial equipment and automotive applications is expected to steadily increase; and the expanding market for capacitive touchscreen panels used in high value-added products such as smartphones and tablet computers is expected to see continued high-growth in the coming years.
Optrex has a high level of technical ability in manufacturing LCDs for automotive applications and a strong customer base both inside and outside of Japan. Kyocera expects that the acquisition will allow the company to further enhance the product lines of both its conventional industrial equipment applications and newly acquired automotive applications, and thus contribute to business expansion.
Moreover, Optrex also possesses excellent production technology for touchscreen panels, thus by effectively combining both companies’ product technologies and operating resources including customer bases, Kyocera also expects to further enhance and expand its touchscreen panel business.
This acquisition will enable Kyocera to further expand its LCD and touchscreen panel business and to meet a wider range of customer needs.
- Press Release (pdf) (137.04 KB)
- KYOCERA to Break Ground on Third Kyoto Ayabe Manufacturing Facility
- KYOCERA “Kyoto Opal” Utilized in Decorative Design of Yamaha Trombone
- Kyocera Brings Low-Temperature, High-Thermal-Conductivity Silver Sinter Paste to the European Market
- Kyocera presents innovative Magic Drill DRA: Modular drill with low cutting force for excellent drilling accuracy
- Kyocera Brings High-Temperature, High-Thermal-Conductivity Epoxy Molding Compound to the European Market
- KYOCERA: Revving up for involvement with motorsports
- KYOCERA to sponsor touring car race
- KYOCERA BOOSTS TONER RECYCLING PROGRAMME ACROSS EUROPE
- KYOCERA Strengthens IoT Business through Expansion of Software Laboratory
- KYOCERA DOCUMENT SOLUTIONS INC. NAMED A "MAJOR PLAYER" IN IDC MARKETSCAPE: MANAGED WORKFLOW SERVICES 2015 (U.S., WESTERN EUROPE, ASIA/PACIFIC)
- KYOCERA introduces Wide-Screen, Super High Brightness TFT-LCD for Industrial Applications
- KYOCERA TASKALFA 406CI HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BY BUYERS LABORATORY
- Kyocera registers trademark Haptivity® for its proprietary touch feeling technology and continues further development
- KYOCERA Named a 2015 Top 100 Global Innovator by Thomson Reuters
- KYOCERA DOCUMENT SOLUTIONS INC. PROVIDES NUANCE'S AUTOSTORE 7.0 ON ITS HYPAS-ENABLED MFPS
Manager Corporate Communications